Re: [News] Corporations That Don't Give Platform Freedom

  • Subject: Re: [News] Corporations That Don't Give Platform Freedom
  • From: Richard Rasker <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 21:21:25 +0200
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Op Tue, 05 Sep 2006 15:28:30 +0100, schreef [H]omer:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Platform Flexibility: Corporations Are Not To Be Blamed
>
> More quotes:
>
> .----
> | Let's say you are a software developer who wants to experience Linux.
> | You have tried it before and you feel that you can be more efficient
> | in Linux over Windows while developing a core component of an
> | application. The ideal employer interested in making your life
> | comfortable lets you convert your office workstation from Windows to
> | Linux.

> | After two weeks, you decide to make a few custom tweaks just to get
> | the right desktop environment, but while making those tweaks,
> | something goes wrong, and now you are locked out of the workstation.
> `----
>
>> http://www.cooltechzone.com/Departments/Featured_Story/Platform_Flexibility%3A_Corporations_Are_Not_To_Be_Blamed_200609052535/1/
>
> What a load of crap. "Gundeeqp Hora", if that's his real name, thinks
> that an IT pro, with zero Linux experience, gets a new job developing on
> Linux, and his new boss is not only happy to accommodate him, but would
> tolerate a Linux noob wasting company money on his "curiosity".
>
> It was when he suggested that it was possible to get "locked out of the
> workstation", just by "tweaking the desktop", that made me suspicious!!!
> What a load of bollocks; this guy has obviously never even *seen* Linux
> running, let alone had any experience of it in the workplace.

Judging by his description, he must have loads of eXPerience with Windows
though - the insecurity of which means that following just one wrong web
link means you're 0wn3d, and (indeed) possibly locked out of your own
machine in such a way that Knoppix must come to the rescue.

When protecting your data is important (something which is surmised here),
Windows is without a shadow of a doubt the worst possible choice. It's by
far the most insecure and unstable platform available, with closed,
undocumented and ever-changing data formats which will (yes: will, not
may) blow up in your face one future day.

Richard Rasker

--
Linetec Translation and Technology Services

http://www.linetec.nl/