Re: Bergen: Another Linux Rollback

  • Subject: Re: Bergen: Another Linux Rollback
  • From: Hadron Quark <qadronhuark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 17:47:24 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:AvQ0BFYPm3poe0Cvol1bydKFvtM=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
"billwg" <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> John Bailo wrote:
>> "Ambitious plans by the Norwegian city of Bergen to move to an
>> open-source desktop environment have been suspended."
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6112306.html
>>
>>Not to mention:
>
> ""An exaggerated belief in Linux can make you lose your focus and might
> harm other important tasks," he said, revealing that Microsoft products
> will continue to live a healthy life within the city boundaries.

You might turn into one of the COLA gang! No basis in reality
whatsoever. Why doesnt someone from this NG go and sort it out and slap
the Norwegian team around for being "Windiots"?

> "We use Microsoft and we have no plans to throw it out. It will be too
> costly to train all our users in a new system," Tveit said.
>
> The thrust of one of the most prolific public Linux cases will now be
> lost, but Gartner analyst Peter Hidas is not surprised. Gartner has
> always believed that Linux on the desktop still has far to go, and that
> it might never take off, he said.

Read that Roy? Still a long way to go : so better they stop throwing out
new "distros" - because most real people would sooner have the choice
between 2 good ones than 350+ crap half assed ones.

--
Special engagement; no discounts, passes or coupons accepted.