Re: [News] Uptight Businessmen and Perception of Names or Images

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 06 September 2006 14:35 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Wednesday 06 September 2006 04:44 \__
>>
>>> Advice To Linux: Kill The Penguin
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> Oh, really? Excel? Outlook? Clippy? And that talking "Find" dog (not
>>> Bob)?
>>>
>>> And "cuteness", as he calls it, sure worked fine for Google.
>>
>> I realised I had forgotten the link.
>>
>> http://www.crn.com/nl/voices/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=192501076
>
> Well, there's an Acrobat to read documents, powerpoint to write slides
> (powerpoint???), excel to write a spreadsheet? outlook to do email (why
> not mail?), outlook express doesn't do things more quickly, rather, it
> seems to just do less.  Visio is, I think, some kind of drawing package?
>
> What about admin tools?  tracert is traceroute...  (don't you love 8+3).
>
> It's such a common error to confuse familiarity with "sensible things".

Nail. Head.

It goes beyond terminology. How many mobile phone might you find that adopt a
"Start" button approach? It's a matter of habits, however good or bad. At
least Novell conducts studies that improve usability (e.g. SLED menu, XGL
front-end, YaST2 revision/alternative, new KDE kicker).

Windows' inertia is rooted in familiarity and whenever MS diverges from
'normality' (e.g. ribbons in Office, change in IE UI, or changes in Vista
prompting), they get whacked by lazy&ignorant users. Linux is better suited
for those who explore the best solution to a problem. Most actions in KNode,
for example, are a single keystroke away. And it's no coincidence.

Windows - so widespread, so it must be best bar none. And the world is flat,
by the way. Why? Because it is. I could use the "God exists" analogy, but
this sometimes starts flames.

Best wishes,

Tux is sexy <
http://bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2006/08/paris_hilton_tux.jpg >
roy      pts/3        cg001a.halls.man Tue Sep  5 19:06   still logged in