Re: [News] Cordless Skype/Philips Phone Runs Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] Cordless Skype/Philips Phone Runs Linux
  • From: "Mathew P." <Mathew@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:29:59 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On 2006-09-06, Scott Nudds spake thusly:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>  > http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8449749058.html
>
> You know, you haven't lived until your telephone requires an operating
> system.

Your (landline) telephone has had an operating system in it all along if
you're using anything more modern than a rotary. Alright, a primitive one
but it's there. Always has been.

> I can't wait until my toaster has one.

Some do. Modern power saver appliances all have low level OS's in them
(at the most basic, execution of IC instruction sets). If you have a modern
fridge, or washer/dryer, you are looking at more complex OS operation and
embedded compact systems. Cable boxes and satellite decoders often run
embedded Linux. So next time you bad talk your toaster, make sure it
can't hear you ;-)

Regards,

Mathew

"Always do the right thing: It will delight /  Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanies
some and astound the rest" - Mark Twain    / Psychotronic protection, low prices