Re: [News] The Age (very popular newspaper/site) Praises GNU/Linux

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Tuesday 05 September 2006 04:55 \__
>
>> Linux wins over new fans
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Linux is shedding its hard-core techie image in a bid to woo ordinary
>> | human beings seeking an easy-to-use operating system that can be
>> | downloaded for free.
>> |
>> | While it is hard to estimate how many everyday users have defected from
>> | Windows or Apple software to join the open-source movement, Ubuntu
>> | (pronounced oo-boon-too) has emerged as one of the Linux desktop packages
>> | of choice for those looking for a basic desktop alternative.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | Researcher IDC recently surveyed more than 5000 developers from 116
>> | countries, and found the use of open-source software to be "pervasive,
>> | used by almost three-quarters of organisations and spanning hundreds of
>> | thousands of projects".
>> |
>> | Government IT departments looking to cut costs associated with
>> | proprietary packages software are also being encouraged to embrace
>> | open-source software and, last week, India's communist-run Kerala state
>> | announced plans to reduce Microsoft's dominance in schools by promoting
>> | the use of Linux.
>> `----
>>

> http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/linux-wins-over-new-fans/2006/09/04/1157222061911.html
>> http://tinyurl.com/lm8ua
>>
>> This is excellent (and free) publicity.
>
> Sydney Morning Herald.
>
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/09/04/1157222061911.html

Did you see these comments?

Ubuntu easier to install than Windows XP:

	Web designer, Dave Green, has been running Ubuntu for a few
	months and said he had found it easier to install than Windows XP.

OpenOffce more user friendly than MS Office:

	"OpenOffice 2 is a little bloaty but it can do stuff that Office
	can't and is just a lot more user friendly. It doesn't include
	a lot of hardcore functionality but for web surfing and email
	it's very easy to use," he said.

These are real end-users, one self-described as a "granny" user.

I'm quite convinced that Ubuntu is going to do for the Desktop what
RedHat did for the server.

People who have what they want are very fond of telling people who haven't
what they want that they don't want it.
		-- Ogden Nash