Re: Forbes: OEM's Suffer from Microsoft's 'Scare Tactics'

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 17:29:55 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On 4 Sep 2006 08:07:44 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:
>
>>> No, Rex.  The first 56Kb modem was released in 1997.  The USR X2 and
>>> Rockwell K56Flex.  Stop making shit up.
>>>
>>> http://ittimes.ucdavis.edu/v6n5feb98/cait.html
>>
>> You are correct.  Windows 3.1 supported 9600 baud maximum speed.
>
> Of course I'm correct.  You're ALWAYS wrong.
>
>>> You keep repeating that lie about NT.  NT was released as both a
>>> workstation *AND* a server at the exact same time.  Both were released on
>>> July 27, 1993.  Stop making shit up.
>>>
>>> time.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT
>> True, but Microsoft expected the PRIMARY source of revenue from NT to
>> be from workstations.  They were hoping to sell about 10 million of
>> them in the six months.  Instead, they sold about 300,000
>
> No, they weren't, Rex.  For one thing, Office didn't run on NT 3.1.  It
> didn't support OLE.  There was no way any but a handful of early adopters
> were going to buy into it, and Microsoft knew that.
>
>> Mind you, they only shipped the licenses.  Far fewer of those licenses
>> were actually deployed.
>
> That's always the case with every OS.  How many of the copies of Linux
> download are 'deployed'?

>>> While NT was hyped, it was never expected to be a big seller at first.
>>> Microsoft knew it would be a 5+ year struggle, in part because NT was
>>> designed for hardware requirements that didn't yet exist in an affordable
>>> manner, and in part because it would take a great deal of time for 32 bit
>>> apps to be rolled out into the marketplace.
>>
>> But that's NOT how they promoted it during 1993.
>
> Of coruse it's not how they promoted it.  They wanted to sell as many as
> they could.  That's now how IBM promoted OS/2.  That's not how Red Hat
> promoted any of it's distributions, etc..  Promotion involves being overly
> optomistic.
>
>> They made it sound,
>> to corporate CIOs, and to OEMs, like Windows NT was going to be a huge
>> moneymaker, that they shouldn't even think about anything other than
>> Windows NT, and that once NT hit the market, it would be a "better UNIX
>> than UNIX".   It was vaporware.
>
> There you go again, using a word in a way it doesn't really mean.
> Vaporware mean it's announced but never ships.
>
>> Bill was trying to keep the industry from going to OS/2 or UNIX.  IBM
>> had a strong OS/2 platform, and Sun had Solaris on Sparc and Intel.
>> Slackware Linux was being circulated, Caldera had been formed, and Red
>> Hat was offering quantity discounts to OEMs.
>
> IBM screwed up OS/2 well enough without much of Microsoft's help.

>>> Yet none of that happened.
>>
>> Right Erik.  If you can't find it in Google, it never happened.
>
> No, Rex.  I'm saying that OS/2 didn't take over.  Caldera didn't take over.
> Etc.
>
>>> No, that would not be competition.  "Competition" is the act of competing.
>>> It has nothing to do with whether or not any of the participants even
>>> finish the "race", much less whether they make it to the customers
> [...]

Why do you waste time replying to this nutsack (Rex Ballard) ???
It's been proved over and over again that the guy is way, way, way off his
rocker.

He re-writes history so that it fits his warped views.

He has yet to prove a single one of his points.

Also, notice how the COLA gang is strangely silent about his obvious lies?

All except Roy Shysterwitch of course who posts atta boy posts..

Maybe he feels sorry for Rex?