Re: [News] Welsh Schools Choose Linux and Open Source for Mail

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Welsh schools adopt open source email
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Major educational deal shows that open source is taking off in the
>| regional public sector, say open source consultants
>|
>| A Welsh county council has brokered a deal to provide open source email
>| to up to 40,000 pupils and teachers.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| Staff will use the new system, based on Debian Linux, to create and
>| manage new email accounts. Sirius will design and implement a solution
>| consisting of modified open source packages, including GOsa, an email
>| account management tool, and Squirrelmail, an open source email client.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39282552,00.htm
>
> Our University uses the Horde Project (FOSS) for E-mail. It used to be
> Windows/Pegasus.

But look at /why/ they're using FOSS, is it cost?  well, partly:

	"Proprietary software came out as being significantly more
	expensive, 10 things to consider mostly because of licensing
	costs," said Nunn. "Clearly per-user licensing would have been
	prohibitively expensive."

However, it's more about it being tried, tested and scalable:

	The council, which already uses a scaled-down Suse Linux email
	solution developed by Nunn, chose to continue using open source
	in part because of its adaptability.

But also, and perhaps mostly, because it's open:

	"I like having the freedom to see what a system is doing if open
	source goes wrong, you can fix it.  If a proprietary software
	box goes wrong, you can't look inside," said Nunn.

Those are all the reasons why FOSS is getting into government
everywhere.