Re: Microsoft is evil, very evil (was: Google is evil, very evil)

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 04 September 2006 12:19 \__

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/08/31/memory.sensecam/index.html

>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| One prototype that already goes some way towards that eventuality
>>| is Microsoft's SenseCam, picked out by Bill Gates in a recent Time
>>| magazine interview as one of the software giant's most exciting projects.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| For the past eight years researcher Gordon Bell has been digitally
>>| documenting every photograph, note, e-mail and document relevant to his
>>| life. More recently, he has started using a SenseCam to automatically
>>| record details of his daily movements. All that material is then uploaded
>>| to a searchable database called "MyLifeBits."
>>|
>>| Bell says his ambition is to have "a complete record of my physical being
>>| in cyberspace" and even admits feeling a sense of emotional loss after
>>| misplacing an Outlook folder recently.
>> `----
>>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> *LOL* Outlook...
>>
>> It's like that Frasier episode where Daphne loses a tape of one of his
>> radio shows, which he cannot recover.
>>
>> As I said in the reply to Rex, Microsoft is copying Google's pattern,
>> whether it's benevolent or not.
>>

> It's possible, of course.  Google's advantage is an enormous processing
> machine and a huge database.  Their question?  What can you do with it?

Hmmm... Google Trends sounds benign because low-volume queries are not
permitted. They could not jeopardise an individual's privacy, yet not a
nation's or city's right for privacy.

And Google sure plays with the data, e.g.:

http://labs.google.com/papers/sawzall-20030814.gif (showing query volume
worldwide)

At least they are not going to 'pull an AOL' any time soon. AOL has just
completely eliminated its research labs, due to this recent infamous
incident. And that said, I ought to point out that Google fell victim to the
DoJ's demands, giving personal data to the US government, IIRC. Then comes
censorship, which serves as precedence to a whole bunch of stuff. I
believe/suspect that they brought censorship to the States as well, so
information bias is introduced, not only in the form of advertisements.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI"
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S