Re: [News] [OT] A Capitalist Environment for Linux to Thrive in

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 04 September 2006 10:00 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>
>> This seems to be one of those anti-success things. Walmart is big because
>> it's successfull. People must like shopping there or they wouldn't have an
>> income.
>>

> Read up on how oligopolies form.  Walmart is a key player in an
> oligopoly which is extending across the whole planet.  If their goals is
> to be an oligopolist, then they're successful, it's true.
>
> Another question to then consider is whether you want to live somewhere
> where you're at the whim of an oligopoly.

I had to do some reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligopoly

Selective snippets:

        "The word is derived from the Greek for few sellers."

        "This causes oligopolistic markets and industries to be at the highest
        risk for collusion." (think US government; even Google hired Spooks)

This reminded me of the French and MacDonald's. This also led me to thinking
about Kerala's ban on Pepsico and Coca Cola products. Lastly, this reminded
me of a video I watched earlier today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko-EX9fSIcg

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*
 10:05am  up 45 days 22:17,  7 users,  load average: 0.78, 0.62, 0.50