Re: [News] [OT] A Capitalist Environment for Linux to Thrive in

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 04 September 2006 09:17 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Handover Phist ] on Sunday 03 September 2006 17:09 \__
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz :

>>> I dont think we need an alternative to capitalism. I'm both a Linux user
>>> and a capitalist myself. When I create a system for someone using FOSS,
>>> I fully expect to get paid for my time and expertise. And paid well,
>>> thank you.
>>>
>> But have a look at the article. It supports capitalism but objects to
>> things which we have come to know as, e.g. Walmart the benemoth. It talks
>> about working collabortively in smaller, distributed networks. That's just
>> the way Linux operates.
>>

> This seems to be one of those anti-success things. Walmart is big because
> it's successfull. People must like shopping there or they wouldn't have an
> income.

Ask an American why they like Walmart. There are several factors and among
them:

* Walmart saves legwork because it has everything (integration).

* Walmart is inexpensive (read: cheap, owing to repetition, reuse)

Both advantages are obtained through size, which makes a cyclic trap. How,
for example, can small rivals gain acceptance? Investments are one options,
but it is rarely available to startups in technology, let alone to
non-profit-making 'crusades'.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz    | "Black holes are where God is divided by zero"
roy      pts/4                         Mon Sep  4 09:16 - 09:17  (00:01)