Re: [News] Impressive 3-D Visualisation of the Linux Kernel

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 04 September 2006 07:03 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> A 3D animation of Linux source code development
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| These are 3D renderings of dependencies in the Linux kernel source code.
>> `----
>>
>> http://perso.orange.fr/pascal.brisset/kernel3d/kernel3d.html
>>
>> Video in streaming Flash here:
>>
>> http://ssteam.ath.cx/news/3d-linux-kernel-visualizaiton/
>>

> I'm still fairly convinced that UIs are not really close to where they
> need to be;  this kind of thing seems to be heading the right way, but I
> don't think we'll really be there until the mouse has gone and something
> a bit more usable has replaced it.

I thought about this earlier. When you already have GNU/Linux desktop
environments (X server rather) with depth, you could easily augment
interfaces. However, with flat screens, there is not much you can achieve,
unless you fragment your view or pick up one of these babies <
http://www.elumens.com/products/visionstation.html > (the company's URL is
now broken; go figure).

Now, use the same technique to project the view in a head-mounted display and
use one of the many of the many (currently expensive) peripherals for 3-D
interaction. All these gyroscope-enabled devices are extremely valuable. I
used one of them when participating in an experiment at MCC (we have a
visualisation centre there). Then, image yourself coming into work, putting
on a mask and entering (as opposed to facing) an X session where you can
grab windows in a 3-D space and even rotation a cube or the sphere that
surrounds you (moving with your hands, feet, or head), if you desire to do
so.

The technology is all there. You just need to plug X with the peripherals and
modify the desktop environment to respond to new types of interactions. XGL
already supports 'throwing' of windows, as you will find in
touchscreens+XGL. The wobbly effect don't have a merit here, but
translucency can be important while you work in a sphere with actual depth.
Worth doing this type of research, but it takes a generous grant to make
possible... and quite a lot of coding.

Returning to MS bashing, Windows code is a mess, so it's not going anywhere,
unless SP4 for Windows XP can be released in 2009, as promised. No surprises
there. Have a look at Microsoft perception of the future office. They are
neither innovative, nor ambitious/imaginative.

http://news.com.com/2300-1008_3-6070339-1.html (look ma! SP3 on 3 screens.
And same ol' MS peripherals)

Their vision is restricted by the limitations of their codebase and
technology. And down they'll go.