Re: Wine Success: getting Canada onto TomTom

  • Subject: Re: Wine Success: getting Canada onto TomTom
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 02:06:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 03 September 2006 21:23 \__

> I've just bought all the Canadian and US maps from TomTom (Euros 113),
> but they come in zipped-up windows cab files, encrypted in some way,
> with a windows executable to put them together.
>
> Even playing around with mc, unzip, cabextract and so on didn't get me
> there, so, I decided to go for broke...
>
> unzipped the files into ~/.wine/drive_c/tomtom,
> followed by
>
> $ wine setup.exe
>
> and up pops the tomtom install programme, asks where I want to install
> it to (a tomtom, on the filesystem, media card), so I plugged in tomtom,
> and pointed the installer to:
>
> h->tomtom
>
> and off it went, installing Canada.  Once installation complete, quit
> the application, unplug tomtom and restart.
>
> Switched maps (Canada), and plotted route from Pearson International
> (Toronto) to Acton - all done and dusted.
>
> Personally, I'd prefer not to have to run any windows executables at all
> when transferring maps from my linux pc to my linux tomtom, but, it's
> good to know that if you need to, it all works perfectly well.

I would never buy a product that assumes the user works under Mac OS or
Windows. Not even if the device is Linux-based. In fact, that's another
reason why Palm should get their act together and stop relying on the work
of volunteers (e.g. pilot-link, jpilot, kpilot, gpilot). We shall see what
they do with the new platform. Will it be compatible with the old Palm OS
conduits? Will the Desktop be open-sourced for a change?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers
Tasks: 136 total,   1 running, 134 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie