Re: [News] Internet Explorer 7 is Spyware

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 06:31:37 +0000 (UTC), High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>>| MR. Biz: no matter how much tweaking MS does, it's still
>>|   not going to solve the resource requirements issue
>>| MR. Biz: the 3D desktop should have been part of Plus
>>| MR. Biz: vista will NEVER run on a $1000 PC
>>| MR. Biz: EVER MR. Biz: maybe a $1500 PC, but that one
>>|   doesn't exist Yet
>
> That's bull.  Vista will run on a $300 PC you buy today.  It may not have
> the highest end features, but it will run just as well as Vista with the
> biggest resource hogs disabled (like Aero)

I thought Mary Jo Foley made a very good point in

>> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,2180,2010894,00.asp

as she usually does.  Then you propose running a crippled Vista version?

>> Vista apparently is very hardware intensive.  For example, minimum
>> requirements for Windows XP
>
> Vista is hardware intensive for the high end features, but not hardware
> intensive to simply run.  Just like you can turn off KDE and run with
> Fluxbox on a Linux distro to save resources.

Oh?  Who is going to want to install Vista, so they can just surf the 'net,
write letters or E-mails, chat?  One could save considerable costs by
running Linux, and that with better security.

No, they will want to run bloatware Microsoft Office latest version,
AutoCAD, business spreadsheets, high end Adobe graphics, high end games,
etc.  You do not take a $300 PC and expect it to run these.  Of course one
could take Linux and the equivalents and do well.

>> Vista will run on an 850 MHz Pentium with 512 MB memory.
>> However, those are considered minimal requirements.  I see the
>> hardware inflationary cycle continuing.
>
> That's for all features.  If you're willing to do without the 3D desktop,
> then it will run in significantly less.

That is not what the Microsoft website stated that you conveniently snipped:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/vistarpc.mspx

>> or http://tinyurl.com/a655s

Also, you conveniently snipped:

>> Vista apparently is very hardware intensive. ÂFor example, minimum
>> requirements for Windows XP
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx
>>
>> is a 300 MHz Pentium, 128 MB RAM and super VGA graphics. ÂHowever, anyone
>> who has run XP on 300 MHz Pentium and/or 128 MB knows that the system is
>> wheezing seriously with such a processor and/or limited memory.
>>
>> Several years ago, I found found an AMD 2.4 GHz, 256 MB system with XP
>> Home to be wheezing until I added a further 512 MB, which then sped
>> things up (768 MB total).

Vista follows in the footsteps of previous Microsoft products and will
require greater resources to run satisfactorily.  Running a crippled
version on minimal hardware will only frustrate users.

--
HPT