Re: [News] Internet Explorer 7 is Spyware

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Saturday 02 September 2006 08:58 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Just worth clarifying this.
>>
>> Not only does it send Microsoft a list of pages you visit, but it also
>> enables Microsoft to extend its monopoly and use it for search
>> technologies.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/ezeey
>>
>> No wonder Internet Explorer 7 was made a high priority update. Security?
>> Security my ass. They just want to spy on every Web surfer.
>
> It just occured to me reading this and Thumper's post. I wonder if it is
> valid to buy a lot of XP software to put into the company safe so that for
> the next few years companies can ignore the higher cost of Vista machines?
>
> As far as I know there isn't a 'Use By Date' on software boxes.
>
> If that is valid, then could buy a few MS Office boxes too.
>
> It isn't as if there is anything worth having in the new versions so no
> real need to go to the extra costs to run them.

The only snag I can think of is neglect of old versions of Windows, e.g. 2000
which makes a good candidate (ME is no longer supported). The machines that
run these O/Sen would then need to be replaced and, as of last year, half of
all US businesses still used Windows 2000.

In reality, thanks to Linux, it is improbable. But what if Microsoft
continued to make its O/S poor on security (it's ineviable and it's not a
matter of will, just inability due to bad state of the code). It could spend
half of that one billion dollar Vista marketing budget on forcing people to
think that Vista (the third XP service pack) will actually add security.
Let's wait to see how the cattle reacts to brainwash.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI"
  9:05am  up 43 days 21:17,  7 users,  load average: 0.12, 0.32, 0.44