Re: Windows Makes Web Surfing and E-mail a Risk, Employees Unaware

begin  oe_protect.scr
nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Majority Ignorant of Email risks
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | A survey into the habits of 142 UK office workers conducted by Finjan,
>> | has uncovered that although they know the security risk to their employers
>> | caused by clicking on web-links or opening attachments from unknown
>> | sources, they simply can't help themselves.
>> |
>> | Of those questioned, 93 per cent said that they knew that links,
>> | attachments, pop boxes and web pages could have spyware or other forms
>> | of malicious code embedded within them.
>> `----
>>
>> http://networkblog.itproportal.com/?p=164
>
> Something I've been trying to clarify is this---how much of a risk do
> you run on Linux or OS X if you click on things, or visit bad web
> sites?  I'm assuming you've got employees (or teenagers) who can't
> resist.  So far the worst I've heard seems to be that spammers will
> learn that your email address is valid, and you will be flooded with
> spam.  That's not a small matter, but at least your computer is not
> infected.

email address harvesting can be done in so many ways.  One way to avoid
it if you're very concerned would be to use an anonymising proxy for
web-surfing, and to be sure that you do /not/ sign up to anything.

The anonymising proxy would prevent anyone using mx records for your IP
to spam you (if you had a fixed ip address).  Also, you can just use
dynamic ip address, in which case your email would be safer.

Vail's Second Axiom:
	The amount of work to be done increases in proportion to the
	amount of work already completed.