Re: [News] Cold War (Runs Natively in Linux) Scores 8.5/10

  • Subject: Re: [News] Cold War (Runs Natively in Linux) Scores 8.5/10
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:42:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Ray Ingles ] on Friday 01 September 2006 16:28 \__

> On 2006-08-31, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> http://www.linuxgames.com/?dataloc=/reviews/cold_war/
>
>  This game looks quite interesting. I'll be putting it on my xmas list.
> But you missed the best part of the review:
>
>  "First of all, the StarForce question is irrelevant: while this
> software (or 'rootkit' if you prefer) is obviously a sound contender for
> the most annoying piece of code ever, it simply isn't present on the
> Linux DVD, consequently we are spared any of the cool features
> experienced by Windows users. Destroyed DVD-ROM drives or overall system
> responsivity reduced to maddening sluggishness (wait, wasn't that an OS
> feature?)."
>
>  The Linux game doesn't bother with copy protection. Yay, I can actually
> make a backup!
>
>  (If you're not familiar with Starforce copy protection... count
> yourself lucky.)

My gaming days are over. I've abstained from playing network games ever since
August 2004 when I realised I was addicted. Enemy Territory was the culprit.
The ET client was free. I also gave Doom 3 and Max Payne 1+2 a shot. 12+
Minutes in Dead Man Walking (Max Payne 2). Try to beat that if you know the
game. *smile*

In general, I opine that there has been very little (if any) novelty in
gaming for a long time. Better and faster rendering of polygons is not truly
an advancement... but a product of brute force, which in itself hit a brick
wall (Moore's law requires multiple cores to stand a chance). The same
pretty much applies to desktop environments, but Compiz/XGL/other (Novell
calls these "Desktop Effects") are a nice little step forward. Add
touchscreens/retina-driven peripherals... even head mounted displays...
bring them to home users and make computers smaller (e.g. Cell-powered
mobile devices)... that'll be something. There will only be a few companies
whose interest will be to stifle and slow down innovation... both Net giants
(Net neutrality) and those that capitalise on yesterday's commodity tech.

I think that some big revoluion in science and computing will arrive as soon
as Linux takes over the majority of the user and developer community. All
forces joined together lead to quicker, more cohesive R&D.