Re: wikipedia as a search engine?

  • Subject: Re: wikipedia as a search engine?
  • From: bob_jenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 18 Sep 2006 10:19:43 -0700
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
John Bokma wrote:
> bob_jenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > My site (with its admittedly strange access patterns) says 47.54%
> > direct request, 11.45% Google, at least 1.67% cumulative from
> > Wikipedia, 0.69% Yahoo, 0.26% MSN, 0.10% Ask, and 0.09% for the first
> > non-search-or-wikipedia referrer.
>
> Which software + version?

Webalizer 2.0.1.  http://burtleburtle.net/webstats.  Yes, Wikipedia is
listed as a referrer rather than a search engine.  It just strikes me
as behaving like a search engine.

> I wouldn't call Wikipedia a SE, but I guess you have some links there, or
> a link on a page with a lot of visits. And yes, it's perfectly possible
> that *in your case* wikipedia delivers more traffic that all other SEs
> except for Google.

Definitely true in my case, but the question is, is everyone else
seeing the same thing.

Roy said:

> Wikipedia links can truly drive a lot of traffic these days. 5% of the Net's
> traffic is said to be concentrated in that Wiki (Alexa traffic rank ~20),

I see from Alexa that quite a few sites (including search engines
Yahoo, Google, and MSN) are ranked higher than Wikipedia, so it looks
like my case is not very representative.