[News] Microsoft 'Fights' Piracy...

...With trivially-crackable barriers. It makes you wonder if they even try to
stop piracy or make it as easy as obtaining a key for all versions of
Windows, Office, and other Microsoft software, which locks the user's data
(and skills).

Easy Way to Bypass Windows Genuine Advantage

,----[ Quote ]
| How to bypass Windows Genuine Advantage easily without patches or scripts
`----

http://www.youareadopted.com/wga/wga-bypass.html

Also see:

Hackers Crack Microsoft's Antipiracy System

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Genuine Advantage system first exploited within 24 hours of
| its launch
|
| [...]
|
| A posting on the  Boing Boing blog claimed that a JavaScript command
| string could bypass a check that Microsoft instituted Wednesday through the
| Windows Genuine Advantage 1.0 program.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,122058-page,1/article.html

Walkthrough: Microsoft Office for Free (Legally)

,----[ Quote ]
| As the start of school approaches, many students find themselves
| shelling out as much as $300 for Microsoft Office 2003. This Walkthrough
| will provide an in-depth way to LEGALLY use Microsoft Office for free. I
| am not ashamed to admit that I have now been using Office for almost ay
| ear through this method. Walkthrough after the Jump.
`----

                        http://livewavecam.com/walkthrough.htm

There is definitely a motive.

How Piracy Opens Doors for Windows

,----[ Article's summary ]
| Bill Gates may not be entirely dismayed by software thieves. They
| seed the world market and make Microsoft a standard.
`----

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-micropiracy9apr09,0,414067.story?track=tottext

Disclaimer: I don't condone piracy and I don't use commercial software
either. It's just clear that piracy is not taken seriously enough and
complaints about piracy are crcodile tears.