Re: wikipedia as a search engine?

  • Subject: Re: wikipedia as a search engine?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 04:54:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ John Bokma ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 18:18 \__

> bob_jenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> My site (with its admittedly strange access patterns) says 47.54%
>> direct request, 11.45% Google, at least 1.67% cumulative from
>> Wikipedia, 0.69% Yahoo, 0.26% MSN, 0.10% Ask, and 0.09% for the first
>> non-search-or-wikipedia referrer.
>
> Which software + version?

Could it be like the BBC 'thing'? Wikipedia does not do search, but if no
results are found for a query, I suspect the visitor is referred to Google.
Having just quickly checked this, it no longer appears to be the case (not
sure it ever has been).

>> There are several mysteries here -- the implausible number of direct
>> requests (from spiders?)
>
> spiders, other bots, bookmarks, and people who block referers. Probably
> the majority is garbage bots.

Yes. It gets worse by the day. Referrer spam, crackers and arbitrary junk
that's stuffed with the aspiration of getting attention through stats.

>> the huge gap between Google and everything
>> else,
>
> A lot of people see that I guess.

Yes, but this appears to depend on the nature of the content.

>> and the mismatch between my stats and ComScore's numbers (43.7%
>> Google, 28.8% Yahoo, 12.8% MSN, 5.9% AOL, 5.4% Ask).
>
> Do they include direct requests and Wikipedia?
>
>> But the thing I'm curious about right now is my stats saying that
>> Wikipedia handily beats every search engine other than Google.  Is
>> Wikipedia really the #2 search engine nowadays?
>
> I wouldn't call Wikipedia a SE, but I guess you have some links there, or
> a link on a page with a lot of visits. And yes, it's perfectly possible
> that *in your case* wikipedia delivers more traffic that all other SEs
> except for Google.

Wikipedia will be listed as a referrer rather than a search engine, wouldn't
it? Maybe it's to do with the way the stats package interprets the logs.
Wikipedia links can truly drive a lot of traffic these days. 5% of the Net's
traffic is said to be concentrated in that Wiki (Alexa traffic rank ~20),
IIRC. A couple of days ago it was forked, I might as well add. It would be
nice to see large Wikis dominate. This would cull out the heaps of
inaccurate and promotional rubbish out there... until too many shills are
hired to subvert the Wikis (spam?).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S