Re: Google rankings affected by URL?

  • Subject: Re: Google rankings affected by URL?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 04:42:40 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Andrew Heenan ] on Sunday 17 September 2006 02:36 \__

> "Carl B101" <carl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote...
>> I've got a few websites up through my earthlink account with the "home"
>> thing in the URL "http://home.earthlink.net/";.
>> Does Google tend to downgrade addresses like this versus other more
>> businesslike domains?
>
> Google does not show any interest in the URL itself - but there are many
> other reasons for businesses to go for a more businesslike domain.

URL's can contain keywords, reflect on content (for humans, to distinguish
from the former point)), be more memorable, etc.

> Some 'free' sites do damage their SEO chances with the way they are
> structured, with weird code added to every page by the server, odd
> navigation games and various autoforwarding 'tricks'. Where earthlink fits
> on the scale of crazy hosting, I don't know.

Get the 'ell out of Earthlink hosting ASAP if you expect growth. The sooner,
the better.

> But I'd go for a real domain - lets face it, it won't break the bank. Every
> panhandler on my block has his own dot.beg

You must be living in a wealthy neighbourhood. Is it some form of an upscale
MySpace?