Re: [News] Microsoft's IPTV Efforts Dwindling, Verizon Fixes Microsoft's Bugs, Memory Hog

begin  oe_protect.scr
Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx> espoused:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> In article <h7ydnewxpqHwr5HYnZ2dnUVZ_qqdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
>>  Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Anyway, the TV follows Microsoft's typical path in its forays into new
>>> endeavors.  Cobble together a piece of crap, get someone to buy it, then
>>> gradually fix it over the course of years until it is somewhat usable.
>>> Much like their course with Windows.
>>
>> Except that is not the path Microsoft has followed in this area.  This
>> is the path they followed:
>>
>> 1. They started with something that was OK, but not as good as the
>> competition.  (First version of Microsoft UltimateTV vs. Tivo).  (I went
>> with UTV over Tivo, because UTV had PIP, which I thought I really
>> wanted).
>>
>> 2. They improved it until it matched the competition.  (First update of
>> UTV after I got it fixed the things where it lagged Tivo, and put it
>> ahead in some areas).
>
> That's not what I read in the IEEE Computer magazine.  The article noted
> it was extremely buggy at first.
>
>> Recently, I switched to Comcast, and the HD DVR they provided has some
>> Microsoft software in it.  The guide software is Microsoft's.  Not sure
>> about the "on demand" software and the actual DVR software.
>>
>> Feature-wise, this software is primitive.  It is way behind UTV, and way
>> behind Tivo.  It's one saving grace is that it is much much much faster
>> than the UTV software.
>
> The other saving grace is that it has Microsoft's weight behind it.

Why else would Tim use it?

In Minnesota they ask why all football fields in Iowa have artificial turf.
It's so the cheerleaders won't graze during the game.