Re: [News] Microsoft's IPTV Efforts Dwindling, Verizon Fixes Microsoft's Bugs, Memory Hog

__/ [ Linonut ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 18:20 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> Verizon takes over Microsoft TV code
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Unhappy over the memory footprint of applications and delays in rolling
>> | them out, Verizon has ditched some of Microsoft's television software
>> | and has chosen instead to write its own.
>> `----
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060914-7742.html
>>
>> Also:
>>
>> FiOS TV and MSFT: When End-to-End Becomes Best of Breed
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Quoting: "With the project in danger of running behind schedule, Verizon
>> | sent its own employees to oversee the work between Microsoft and
>> | Motorola. Engineers from all three companies had several meetings a day
>> | to nudge the project along. Eventually, Verizon took over the
>> | development of the program guide altogether from Microsoft, and ended up
>> | writing a new version of the software that was less memory-intensive."
>> `----
>>
>> http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/laszlo/archives/017055.html
>
> Did they have to give it back to Microsoft?
>
> Anyway, the TV follows Microsoft's typical path in its forays into new
> endeavors.  Cobble together a piece of crap, get someone to buy it, then
> gradually fix it over the course of years until it is somewhat usable.
> Much like their course with Windows.
>
> A quote from the first article:
>
>    After years of effort, Microsoft is finally making significant
>    headway in the television marketplace. Verizon, Comcast, and SBC (now
>    AT&T) have all signed on to use the company's TV technology, as
>    have major international players like BT. Microsoft's TV division may
>    experience growing pains, but these will do little to prevent the
>    company from becoming key industry player.
>
> God help us all.

Don't worry. Outside the United States, Microsoft is nowhere to be seen when
it comes to IPTV (it has tried to penetrate France and Germany, but I
haven't heard/read anything for months).

Electronics firms plan Internet televisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The new televisions will use Linux operating systems instead of
| Microsoft Windows, it added. That feature is aimed at cutting the time
| needed to boot up and reducing the risk of virus infection.
`----

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Parody_of_Al_Gore_Film_tied_0803.html

The above is just one story among many. All the giants that manufacture TV's
(especially in east Asia) have already chosen Linux. But Microsoft will not
want you to know this. Moreover, Linux doesn't have budgets to rave about
such things. Think, for instance, about the large migration to Fedora, which
has no multinational corporation to announce it.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz     | D-I-S-C-O becomes D-I-E S-C-O
  7:20pm  up 58 days  7:32,  8 users,  load average: 0.62, 0.43, 0.35