Re: [News] OpenOffice 2.0 Winning the 'War'

  • Subject: Re: [News] OpenOffice 2.0 Winning the 'War'
  • From: Rick <trollfeed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 13:04:48 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 07:52:08 -0500, Linonut wrote:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> OpenOffice 2.0 (Review)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | In the field of office productivity software there are few players. In
>> | the world of open source software, there are even fewer.  Each of them
>> | say they are directly competing against Microsoft's Office suite.
>> | Only one is winning.  Let me introduce you to OpenOffice, the one and
>> | only open source office suite that's not only winning the war, but
>> | it's giving Redmond some rather nasty nightmares.  Lets pick apart
>> | this bounty of goodness and see what's inside.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=146
>
> Monopoly pricing!
>
>    Starts at $165 for the "lite" version and $499 for the full suite on
>    average.  Some versions cost upwards of $650 or more.

I like and use OpenOffice, and I'd like to see it adopted by the majority
of desktops users that don't need certain features that are only provided
by MS Office, but hat article reads like a piece of pie in the sky
propaganda instead of a real review and comparison of MS Office and
OpenOfice.

"Proprietary software package created and controlled by a monolithic
software giant."

While this is true, it doesn't have anything to do with
features.

"The offerings are nearly identical for the core features, however
OpenOffice goes beyond the core features and adds a multitude more,
including two brand new programs that are designed with the power user in
mind."

If I have read the various reviews correctly, MS Office has many more
'features' that OO.o. It's just that many (most, overwhelming majority?)
never come close to using them.

"There are no known security flaws or viruses at the time of this article."

... except for the proof of concept OO.o macro exploits?

... and it goes on and on.

OO.o is an excellent product and IMO, it is quite usable for the
overwhelming majority of desktop users. However, fluff articles like this
won't help the adoption after the accurate rebuttals surface.

That being said, I think I'll go edit my attendance spreadsheet in Calc,
and then edit some of our class forms in Writer. Why? Because OO.o is an
excellent product, at an excellent price and has no licensing issues.

--
Rick
<http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav>