Re: [News] When the Operating System Costs More Than a Computer...

__/ [ Robert Newson ] on Friday 15 September 2006 20:38 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> B Gruff once said (or was it Jim?) that Microsoft raises UK prices with
>> the premise (excuse) that localisation costs extra money (development
>> time).
>
> Localisation for the UK?
>
> For example, where's the version of Windwos with Favo/u/rites spelt
> correctly for the UK market?  Similarly all the help files and menus with
> colo/u/r, neighbo/u/rhood, etc spelt correctly?  All I see is the *US*
> version of Windwos in the UK; what's the localisation that's taking place?
>
>> You seem to neglect the issue of performance, as well as the minimal
>> requirements in the equation above. It's like looking at the price of the
>> car without taking account of gasoline consultion, or vice versa.
>
> So it's the UK government with tax that's causing the price difference
> then?

I suspect it's a combination thereof. A company will charge as much as it can
(and still get away with it). Without competition in sight (Microsoft has a
stronghold on the OEM's), and assuming that computers are a vital commodity,
the customer will pay what it can (same issue in employment that thrives
unsupervised minimum rates), so long as selling a limb isn't part of the
deal. People's obsessions with mobiles and cars is sometimes similar. And
loans come to mind, too. Maybe Gates' will borrow you some money... Tara the
cash cow is getting overweight and it's got some B$ to extract.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | How I learned to stop worrying and love GNU/Linux
 12:05am  up 57 days 12:17,  9 users,  load average: 1.60, 0.67, 0.45