Re: Vista's Account Protection is Flawed Before Arrival

On 2006-09-15, Larry Qualig <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  Especially since, because of Linux's superior design, you don't *need*
>> root to do things like run a 'freeware game'.
>
> That's true and I'm not going to argue otherwise. But will a teenager,
> dentist or hair dresser know this? A completely naive "average Joe"
> will simply do what the app tells them they need to do. Put up a dialog
> with some techno-babble about why it needs a root password and most
> users will fall for it.

 Yes and no. On Windows, there's no centralized package management or
'repositories' so people *must* download random things from random
places on the net, and then (with very few exceptions) run some kind of
installer.

 I hardly *ever* need to download and run *anything* on Linux. I've
downloaded... um... Cube, the FPS game, and Cold War. Oh, and D2X.
That's it. Maybe one every three months, tops, in case I forgot some.

 Now, as Linux becomes more popular this will change, of course. There
will be more third-party apps that aren't incorporated into the
repositories of the various distributions, etc. etc. But:

> You're talking about legitimate apps, not trojans or malware.

 Yes indeedy. My point is that the vast majority of legitimate apps
don't need root. So if it says it needs root, it's going to stick out.
Some reeducation for Windows users may be needed but even *they* will
notice that this program does something none of the others do.

> But there are 100's of millions of computer users
> out there and most of them really don't know what they're doing.

 True. On the other hand, the structure of Linux, and Unix in general,
acts to protect the system from users that don't know what they are
doing. It's not invulnerable, but it does encourage different techniques
and habits and I believe it will be far more resistant to malware of all
types.

> And for someone that has no idea...
> they will get compromised in a matter of days, if not hours regardless
> of what OS they run.

 I disagree, obviously. The natural diversity of Linux platforms and
applications will form a natural barrier to widespread exploits, the
habits of day-to-day usage work against malware writers, and in the
worst possible case, all the techniques currently used on Windows can be
brought to bear on Linux.

 Yes, malware will be a continuing problem, and a pernicious one, and a
common-enough one. Sure. But the frequency and severity will be
*greatly* reduced. We may not render malware extinct like polio or
smallpox, but we'll cut it down to a chronic, low-level nuisance with
occasional outbreaks. Think disease before and after antibiotics.

--
 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                             (313) 227-2317

 "As it stands now, for the vast majority of the populace, selecting a
 leader is like deciding which dishwasher detergent to purchase at the
 grocery store. You have a couple of brands with big, flashy, colorful
      boxes, that smell the same, look the same, and are probably
           manufactured by the same company." - Dan J. Rempe