Re: [News] FUD And Ethics

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:2918788.9z9rZadTsm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> The ethics of Open Source FUD
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| I don't have to argue here that the FOSS community has
>| been the victim of FUD tactics a number of times. To name
>| a few myths: no support, open to attack, unprofessional,
>| viral licenses and so on. Each and every time the
>| community has answered in a appropriate, accurate and
>| responsible way. But how effective has that been? Well,
>| not. We're fighting it every day.
>|
>| The main problem are the media, the large 'professional'
>| websites. These are the websites managers read. And what
>| do they read there? "Is Linux ready for the desktop?" or
>| worse: "Linux is not ready for the desktop".
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| The FUD doesn't seem to stop and it doesn't stop at these
>| so-called 'professional' websites. In the previous blog,
>| I've shown you how closed-source companies try to tighten
>| their grip on the press even further. The bullying goes
>| on, and although subtle and hidden from the public eye, we
>| haven't seen anything yet. I'm deeply concerned about this
>| and the effects it might have for our community and our
>| projects.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| We've been nuked for years now by lawyers, spin-doctors,
>| publicity moguls and politicians. And you still want me to
>| play mr. Nice Guy?
> `----
>
> http://thebeez.vnunetblogs.com/the_beez_speaks/2006/09/the_e
> thics_of_o.html

This is nothing new.  We even see the very same things
occurring in this forum.

However, there is one thing positive occurring that even the
FUD artists cannot stop.  That is the truth.  Also FUD has no
control over foreign Governments.

Singapore has embraced 5,000 installations of Open Office
rather than renew their Microsoft Office license on their
Government PC's.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39171012
,00.htm

or http://tinyurl.com/eb6zm

> Friday 15th September 2006
>
> Singapore government deploys OpenOffice.org on 5,000 PCs
> Ingrid Marson, ZDNet UK
> November 02, 2004, 10:46 BST
>
> Update: The Ministry of Defence in Singapore has installed
> OpenOffice.org on 5,000 PCs, and is planning to deploy it
> on a further 15,000 within the next 18 months
>
> Singapore's Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) has large-scale
> plans for deploying OpenOffice.org on Windows PCs, a MINDEF
> spokeswoman told ZDNet UK on Tuesday.
>
> "MINDEF has already installed the OpenOffice productivity
> suite on 5,000 desktop computers," said the spokeswoman.
> "We hope to deploy OpenOffice on 20,000 desktop computers
> by the end of March 2006."
>
> MINDEF's deployment to OpenOffice.org is believed to be one
> of the biggest by any government agency.
>
> The spokewoman said the ministry is not migrating to
> OpenOffice.org -- instead OpenOffice.org will coexist with
> Microsoft Office 97 on PCs running Windows XP.
>
> The decision was made to increase user choice and save
> costs, according to the spokeswoman. "This is part of our
> plan to create more choices in productivity suites for our
> users," she said. "With our limited budget, we are always
> exploring opportunities to maximise the value for every
> dollar spent."

> He said MINDEF's decision to deploy OpenOffice.org is
> important and is likely to influence other government
> ministries. "It is very significant and will hopefully push
> other ministries to follow their track," said Marie.
>
> John McCreesh, who helps to run the marketing for
> OpenOffice.org, said this decision shows mounting interest
> in the open-source productivity application.
>
> "There is a growing trend in governments to move to
> OpenOffice.org. Concerns about money and open standards
> have meant there is increasing interest in it," said
> McCreesh.

Here is where Open Office and Linux shine:

> OpenOffice.org is available all four of Singapore's
> official languages: English, Chinese, Malay and Tamil,
> according to the native language section of the
> OpenOffice.org site. Office 2003 is only available in
> English and Chinese, according to the Microsoft Web site.

The story continues ....

> This is not OpenOffice.org's first big success in Asia --
> in China, OpenOffice.org is sold under the NeoShine brand,
> which McCreesh claims recently made it onto the preferred
> list for government office productivity products.
>
> The City of Munich is due to migrate 14,000 PCs to
> OpenOffice.org and Linux by 2008. The City of Bergen, in
> Norway, is also due to migrate desktops in its 100 schools,
> which have 32,000 students and pupils.
>
> Paris' administration was considering migrating 17,000 PCs,
> but stepped back mid October, saying that the move would
> mean significant additional costs without improving the
> service.

We must not forget Indiana Schools:

> Hoosier Daddy? In Indiana Schools, It's Linux
> By Edward F. Moltzen, CRN
> 4:10 PM EDT Wed. Aug. 16, 2006

> How's this for back-to-school fashion: More than 20,000
> Indiana students are now Linux-enabled under a state grant
> program to roll out low-cost, easy-to-manage workstations,
> which are running various flavors of the open-source
> operating system.

Linux gives the most bang for the buck, $5 per computer versus
$100.  That means enough software for 20,000 computers versus
1,000 with proprietary.

> "We have a million kids in the state of Indiana," he
> continued. "If we were to pay $100 for software on each
> machine, each year, that's $100 million for software.
> That's well beyond our ability. That's why open source is
> so attractive. We can cut those costs down to $5 [on each
> computer] per year."

Linux and Open Source is here to stay.  This is the start of a
new millenium.

Those who are not willing to jump on the bandwagon will be
sorely left behind.

--
HPT