Re: Novell's Migrations from Netware to Linux

  • Subject: Re: Novell's Migrations from Netware to Linux
  • From: BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:31:52 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Lenny wrote:

> BearItAll wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> > One more reason why Novell shouldn't forget its legacy products
>> >
>> > ,----[ Quote ]

>> > `----
>> >
>> > http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/netware/2006/0911nw1.html
>>
>> I think it would be reasonable for Novell to transfer their development
>> entirely to the Novell-Suse platform and want to phase out support for
>> the older ones. The Netware 6.5 product is something like three years
>> old, though still supported and can still bought. It's direction from the
>> quick look on the web site just now, suggests it heading towards a
>> Novell-Suse like platform anyway.
>>
>> I also noticed that in the 'News & Reviews' section it hasn't had a
>> mention since mid 2003.
>>
>> Linux gives a much larger potential user base for their Groupwise
>> product, which means that they can aim to overtake Microsoft Exchange and
>> Lotus notes. But also with SLES10 being such a major success, I'm sure
>> many more will convert servers to it as I have done, there seems little
>> point in holding on to Netware.
>
> Idiot. Linux is only 3.5% of revenue for Novell. Netware is more than
> 65% of revenue. If they decide to stop support Netware then company
> will be bankrupt in little over one year.

Idiot? Listen dipshit, the worst thing an OS company can do is put
themselves into a possition where they need two development teams for each
single product. Development costs money. If you look on Novell's site you
will already see that SLES is much more dominant than NW6.5. You will also
see that their major products are already ported to SLES. Then add to that
the the order that you will see the OS in each requirements list, SLES is
always first and as I said in the previous post, NW6.5 simply doesn't get
mentioned in press releases any more, for three years that is.

So, Novell don't see what I said as idiocy. The financial pages also suggest
that though Novell had a fairly static period, they were still a good
investment because they weren't sitting on their laurels waiting for things
to change, they took risks, invested in development and the rewards will
come because what they developed is very significant in the server OS
arena. SLES10+ will knock spots off NW, I have used versions of NW in the
past (2.15 and 4.x), good though it was at the time, it's time came and
went and Novell have to move on to better things with bigger markets.

I want Novell to succeed because they, like IBM and HP, are putting effort
and innovation into Linux. So to my way of thinking Novell deserve the top
spot.