Re: [News] Microsoft: Vista Testers Are Not Enough, Need 5 Million People to Squash Bugs

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Microsoft wants more Vista testers
>
> ,----[ Feed Excerpt ]
> | It hopes to have about 5 million testers checking out latest
> | version of Windows update, as it tries to stamp out bugs.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6115744.html

I followed the "looking for more testers" link on that site, and was
taken to a download of the "Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor" (MSI
package), so just for a laugh, I ran it on my VMWare Windope zombie,
where I was posed the following question by the said tool:

"Which Windows Vista edition is right for you?"

Erm, that would be the version that is not full of holes, not riddled
with bugs, not as bloated as a beached whale, not patent encumbered,
not owned by the world's most reprehensible company, and not more
expensive than the hardware it's going to be running on. Erm ... I
guess that's Microsoft *fucked* then.

The "Advisor"(sic) [Advis_e_r] then went on to extol the virtues of
Vista, thus:

". Most secure Windows ever with Windows Defender and Windows
Firewall"

SELinux - Check
IPTables - Check

". Quickly find what you need with Instant Search and Windows Internet
Explorer"

Beagle - Check
Firefox - Check

". Elegant Windows Aero desktop experience with Windows Flip 3D
navigation"

Compiz, XGL & AIGLX - Check

". Best choice for laptops with enhanced Windows Mobility Center and
Tablet PC support"

Fedora Core 5 x86_64 running on my Acer Ferrari at warp factor 9 -
Check
All hardware functional, including Wi-Fi and Suspend - Check

". Collaborate and share documents with Windows Meeting Space"

GroupWise - Check

". Experience photos and entertainment in your living room with
Windows Media Center"

MythTV - Check

". Enjoy Windows Media Center on TVs throughout your home with Xbox
360 and other devices"

MythTV - Check

". Protect against hardware failure with advanced business backup
features"

"Advanced"? Yeah, right. All you need is:

Rsync and/or Partimage - Check

". Business Networking and Remote Desktop for easier connectivity"

"Business Networking"??? You mean:

IPSec/VPN? - Check
IPv6 - Check
VNC / RDesktop - Check

". Better protect your data against loss or theft with Windows
BitLocker Drive Encryption"

Old news, Linux practically invented the concept:

http://koeln.ccc.de/archiv/drt/crypto/linux-disk.html

Hmmm, looks like I already *have* Vista installed, and I didn't even
know it.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 06:47:39 up 89 days,  7:04,  3 users,  load average: 0.38, 0.57, 0.68