[News] Firefox Code Analysis Raised False Positives

Static Analysis And Scary Headlines

,----[ Quote ]
| That's not an unfair summary since Harrison's post says "The analysis
| resulted in 655 defects and 71 potential security vulnerabilities."
|
| The problem is Klocwork, like most other static analysis tools, reports
| false positives; i.e., it reports problems that are not actually bugs in
| the code. (More precisely, it may identify error behaviours that
| actually cannot occur in any run of the program.)...
`----

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roc/archives/2006/09/static_analysis_and_scary_head.html

I wonder how many such false positives ('vulnerabilities) would have been
raised had Internet Explorer been Open Source and thus open for analysis.

Also yesterday:

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193000855&cid=RSSfeed_TechWeb