Re: [News] Novell's Migrations from Netware to Linux

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Thursday 14 September 2006 15:46 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> One more reason why Novell shouldn't forget its legacy products
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Yes, Novell wants you to move your GroupWise from NetWare to Linux, so
>> | it is "...developing the GroupWise Server Migration Utility. The utility
>> | will transfer GroupWise agents, domains, post offices and data from a
>> | NetWare server to a Linux server."
>> |
>> | Why would you want to do this? According to the link above, "From low
>> | cost, Intel-based hardware and consolidation opportunities to a wealth
>> | of open source software and freedom from vendor lock-in, the benefits
>> | of Linux are significant." But NetWare runs on "low cost, Intel-based
>> | hardware," doesn't it? And it doesn't "lock you in" to Novell any more
>> | than SuSE does, right? But the company really does want you to give up
>> | that NetWare platform - and sooner rather than later. Unfortunately,
>> | that NetWare platform (and Open Enterprise Server) continue to generate
>> | more revenue for Novell than SuSE does and that's not consistent with
>> | how the company wishes to be perceived.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/netware/2006/0911nw1.html
>
> I think it would be reasonable for Novell to transfer their development
> entirely to the Novell-Suse platform and want to phase out support for the
> older ones. The Netware 6.5 product is something like three years old,
> though still supported and can still bought. It's direction from the quick
> look on the web site just now, suggests it heading towards a Novell-Suse
> like platform anyway.

Yeah... you're right. I think that the departure of Messman symbolised the
point where clinging on the older product was conceded. The press releases
seemed to suggest that. Novell needs to concentrate on setups that will
survive and evolve in the long term rather than kill the goose by selling
more NetWare.

> I also noticed that in the 'News & Reviews' section it hasn't had a mention
> since mid 2003.
>
> Linux gives a much larger potential user base for their Groupwise product,
> which means that they can aim to overtake Microsoft Exchange and Lotus
> notes. But also with SLES10 being such a major success, I'm sure many more
> will convert servers to it as I have done, there seems little point in
> holding on to Netware.

I hope you've had the change to look at SUSE's rank in DistroWatch. It's
climbing very nicely, which makes me happy. That Ubuntu hype gives me a
headache sometimes. Like an Kane and Abel conflict....

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate (Medical Biophysics)
  5:20pm  up 56 days  5:32,  10 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.44, 0.62