Re: [News] DRM Cracked (Reverse-Engineered) Again

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1259829.L4esHnObgV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 13 September 2006 23:00 \__

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 13 Sep 2006 21:08:07 +0100
<8361141.bqhUfD0Rff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
QTFairUse6 Updated Hours After iTunes7 Release

,----[ Quote ]
| "Mere hours after iTunes 7's release, QTFairUse6 has received an update
| which enables it to continue stripping iTunes songs of their 'FairPlay'
| DRM. Some features are experimental but at least it's proof that the
| concept still works."
`----

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/13/1354252&from=rss

It's clear that people loathe DRM, no matter how secretly you shove it in
their faces.

The "little people" (end consumers), yes. I don't know regarding media moguls. They probably love the idea. :-)

Me, I'm not sure either way.  The problem is that
techniques for implementing DRM -- done properly -- can
also be used to implement electronic cash transfers,
and vice versa.

Of course one might ask who benefits from electronic cash
transfers (as opposed to more old-fashioned methods such
as briefcases full of money, bills, or hand-signed checks).

Trusted computing is also said to be assistive in the context of security. It
can help interception of remotely owned machines (zombies) and maybe even
WGA. But still... it's all about restrictions. There is not much which is
gained, but rather the prevention of things. It's not about trust; it's
about distrust rather.

Yes, but putting a password on your Linux box is a form of "distrust" or "restriction", and I don't think anyone would argue that this is evil. It's just that "distrust" and "restriction" are emotionally loaded words.

Trusted computing (the non-trademarked term) basically means the hardware is able to authenticate its identity (either to the software or to other hardware). What people don't like is the "I can't control my computer" concept, which isn't inherent in trusted computing at all. It may be part of the concept that Microsoft, Intel, et all are promoting. I'm not sure if they're calling it "Trusted Computing (tm)" or "Palladium (tm)" or some other term.

To avoid fruitless arguments, it's important to agree on what is meant by certain terms in the context of the discussion.

To me, saying Microsoft's implementation of trusted computing is evil, therefore trusted computing itself is evil is akin to saying a bank robber's implementation of making money is evil, therefore making money itself is evil.

- Oliver