Re: Hw to tell googlebot that a page moved

  • Subject: Re: Hw to tell googlebot that a page moved
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 00:10:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ tonnie ] on Wednesday 13 September 2006 19:08 \__

> Ignoramus7715 schreef:

>>> Depends on what server software your site is running, don't know exactly
>>> how it can be done on a windows server, but with apache it could be done
>>> with a redirect permanent in the .htaccess file.
>>>
>>> For example:
>>>
>>> Redirect permanent http://domain1.com/page1.html
>>> http://domain2.com/page2.html
>>>
>>> Further more, pagerank won't be transfered but re-calculated.
>>>
>>> After having placed the redirect, you should be aware of the fact that
>>> there are / could be still sites linking to the old location. Try to get
>>> them changed by asking the webmasters to do so, at least for the ones
>>> you know of.
>>>

>> I run linux/apache.
>>
>> OK, let's say that page1 is the top result in search for "foobar".
>>
>> If I do this permanent redirect (301), will page2 be on top of the
>> search result?
>
> One can't say that for sure. I have seen pages drop and i have seen
> pages stay on the same position after placing a redirect.
>
> You most certainly have a purpose to move the content, make sure it is a
> done properly and for the right reasons.

When you redirect with status 301, the older page will, in due time, expire
and disappear from index/cache. It might even seem unlikely that both
location will appear among the search results, unless the new location was
already indexed prior to redirection.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | How I learned to stop worrying and love GNU/Linux
 12:05am  up 55 days 12:17,  10 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.13, 0.34