Re: [News] Switzerland: Another Adopter of Open Source and OpenDocument Format (ODF)

begin  risky.vbs
	<2722466.g6z1iokg82@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 13 September 2006 20:50 \__
>
>> I don't know where Roy C is, and it's not probable that he's in
>> Vaud, but you never know...

Nah, I'm just outside Bern.

>> This is super news, the rate of government adoption is amazing.
>
> I thought about Roy C when I wrote this. He'd be contented. I put
> Switzerland at the beginning of the subject line, so maybe it'll
> grab his attention. I think this demonstrates that any move to ODF
> is conveniently followed by an all-round move to Open Source and
> possibly Linux (could be a gradual migration with Open formats and
> application as an intermediate 'station').

It is good news. Linux is being adopted more and more where I work.
I was chatting with one of the guys from the Unix group a few days
ago. They are installing over 60 Red Hat servers. They negotiated
a special, 5 year if I remember correctly, maintenance contract
with Red Hat. Still HP-UX and Solaris dominate though.

By the end of this year we'll have over 100 Stonegate firewall engines
installed. They are Linux (Debian) based. All the management and log
servers are Linux as well of course. FC3 these days as that's what
Stonesoft support. Used to be Gentoo but I still have a few Gentoo
servers plus a couple of Red Hat boxes.

Linux on the corporate desktop is still limited to those of us who
appreciate quality / security over Windows. As I've mentioned before
on COLA I have never had a Windows desktop at work. I do still use
metaframe for Outlook and visio but that's as close as I've got to
having a Windows desktop. I play with vmware on occasion as well and
have XP pro on that. These remind me of just how primitive the Windows
GUI is.

Before Linux desktops I had Sun workstations. The last 2, an Ultra-1
and an Ultra-10 both ran Debian Sparc as CDE was just too slow for me.
In fact I had replaced CDE with xfce before I installed Linux on them.
Took a fair bit of compiling but was worth it.

Ah the memories. Having started playing with SLS Linux so many years
ago now my enthusiasm and awe of those who have made it all possible
remains undiminished.

--
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as
false, and by rulers as useful." -- Seneca the Younger (4? BC - 65 AD)