Re: [News] Reconciliation With An Abusive Monopoly

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 19:52:26 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> FOSS Community, Microsoft And Reconciliation
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| I had a fair amount of respect for Neil McAllister until today. In
>| his article, McAllister is calling on the FOSS community to "to set
>| aside their pride, recognise (sic) their place in the larger software
>| market and start working to build bridges, rather than fortresses."
>| Nowhere in his article does McAllister suggest that Microsoft should
>| change its behavior. Nowhere did McAllister suggest that Microsoft
>| should stop abusing others. Nowhere did McAllister suggest that
>| Microsoft consider making a public acknowledgment of the way it has
>| treated the FOSS community. In his view, Microsoft has the flowers;
>| therefore, we should go back home.
> `----
>
> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/69311/index.html

What's that sound?

Oh yeah, the sonic boom of the point flying right over the bloggers head at
mach 5.

How, precisely, would someone who can't set aside their pride respond to
such a comment?  By saying "I won't compromise until they do".

In other words, Mr. Parris has entirely failed to see the point, and is
just epitomizing the kind of person McAllister is talking about.

Now, I'm not suggesting that Mr. Parris is wrong or that McAllister is
right, only that Parris seems to have completely missed McAllister's point
and failed to address it.