Re: Microsoft? Think The Titanic (GOOD READ)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Monday 11 September 2006 18:00 \__
>
> > Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
> >
> >> Hasta la Vista, part 2: MSFT Titanic
> >>
> >> ,----[ Quote ]
> >
> > <SNIP>

> >> `----
> >>
> >> http://thebeez.vnunetblogs.com/the_beez_speaks/2006/09/hasta
> >> _la_vista__1.html
> >
> > Interesting take on the plight of MS.  They have delayed
> > Vista, which is not good for the health of the company.  Users
> > and developers expect products to be delivered when promised.
> > Developers particularly expect delivery, because their
> > livelihood depends on it.  It does not benefit to invest
> > millions of dollars, to have the money spent tied up without
> > earning a profit, especially when money was borrowed so
> > development could take place.
> >
> > If what is stated is true, then the code is very difficult to
> > maintain, which adds cost.
>

> I have read the entire article and, for all I can tell, everything is true.
> There wasn't anything there which I did not already know, having followed
> the news closely for about a year. That last quote, on the other hand, was
> new to me, even though I read something very similar from other MS
> engineers, bloggers, and Mini-Microsoft readers. Some of them stubbornly and
> invariantly propose open-sourcing Windows.
>

> > We have seen the flood gates opening and various places in the
> > world hear of news being leaked of large Linux and Open Source
> > application installments taking place in Government and
> > education.  Most deployments have taken place quietly, there
> > is an installed base that eventually will come out of the
> > woodwork.
> >
> > I see a new order arising.
>

> From a national perspective, this seems to have begun with communist
> countries, parts of Europe, and lately it was Kerala. Asia and Africa have
> the desire, but they need to augment the local Linux skills (for support),
> which is something Canonical and Red Hat are helping with.
>
> Speaking of Kerala, I came across a flattering blog item today.
>
> http://nandu-legendinthemaking.blogspot.com/2006/08/see-my-fellow-members-of-internet.html#comments

  I would like to say that Kerala is a  state in the mighty nation
India,which is slowly but steadily getting in to the right track ,i
mean OSS.See I know that you people in this Usenet group are really
great people i along with mt friend who have started a group
                        http://groups.google.com/group/uit_tvm?lnk=li

As a matter of fact ,we admire you talented people out here like
Roy,Peter Kohlmann.and many others.Also i know a person in my place who
has returned from the US after his PhD ,but who is really a talented
guy with C and ofcourse Linux.He is running a computer peripherals shop
and he sell the assembled PC with Linux pre-installed in it.He has
started an anti-MS drive i should say.Infact,we have been told by him
to do our project using Linux may be a new one which nobody has done
before.So i hav started my endeavours with Linux by doing small small
things like mounting windows partition etc.So kindly help me with this
and hoping for your sincere support