Re: Restalling Windows XP

  • Subject: Re: Restalling Windows XP
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:04:23 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [ Prof. Filipe ] on Saturday 30 September 2006 14:19 \__

> Hendric Stattmann wrote:
>
> > > Hi, I've just installed SUSE/LINUX 10.1. Now windows XP does not work.
> > > I'm not sure it completed disappeared or needs just a reconfiguration.
> > > How do I proced now ? Thank, Filipe
>
>> Please be more specific. What exactly does not work? Does WinXP not appear
>> in the Boot menu? Does XP hang at boot?
>
> Thanks Hendric. I turn on the computer and choose to boot from windows.
> Soon the screen turns black and it is written that  Windows could not
> be initiallized. It gives me some options about trying safe mode, safe
> mode with prompt, normal boot etc. I tryied but then the screen becomes
> green and it says that  windows cannot boot and sugests me to type F8.
> But nothing works at this point and I have to turn of the computer.
> Thanks, Filipe

Hi,

Having just read all the messages in this entire thread, if I were in your
shoes, I'd just get all the essential data on one large partition and clean
up the mess using a partition editor such as gparted. Then, all can be
(re)installed cleanly and a sanity check (boot OK?) completed before you
customise and restore all the files. Be sure to back up your entire home
directory _including_ ~/.[0-9,A-z] files if you intend to get the same
operating system wiped and then installed. You can restore everything with
virtually no loss. This shouldn't take more than a few hours if done
correctly.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
Tasks: 143 total,   1 running, 141 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie