Re: [News] Another Tiny Linux Machine for Under US$100

__/ [ Jerry McBride ] on Friday 29 September 2006 23:45 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Mini Linux PC breaks $100 barrier
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Taiwanese integrator E-Way Technology Systems is shipping a tiny,
>> | 200MHz x86-compatible mini PC for $99, in single quantities. The TU-40
>> | is passively cooled, comes with 128MB of RAM, and can run lightweight
>> | versions of Linux, such as Puppy, the company says.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6372429785.html
>
> This is really amazing stuff. I just hope they get up above 400Mhz or
> 500Mhz so they can do video server duties, etc... As they now stand, 200Mhz
> they're still a tad shy on the clock speed for serious mini-server
> duties... but impressive as hell none the less.
>
> Cheers.

I didn't think it was great value for the price (seen better deals), but how
about using these as thin clients? You could, for example, but one
overpowered server for over $1000 and then connect it to 20 of these babies
that only cost $2000 in total (or less for high quantities), software
included. Some redundant display units (probably CRT's) are being sold by
the pound these days, so here you have a classroom with shiny new equipment
and cutting-edge software.

I can't imagine how much a proprietary (e.g. Apple/Microsoft) equivalent
would cost and how much it would take to maintain  (e.g. virus infections,
licence renewals)...