Re: SuSE 9.2

__/ [ Jim ] on Friday 29 September 2006 01:53 \__

> Quickie:
> Is it just me, or is 9.2 the best of the SuSE bunch so far? I've tried
> OpenSuSE 10.1, it trashed itself for some as yet unknown reason on a
> testbed a couple weeks ago - I'm still autopsying that one to see if I can
> figure out what went wrong. I've got 9.2 on this laptop, and it hasn't
> given me a lick of trouble apart from stupid things that I did myself (like
> plugging in a bus-powered external hard drive - silly thing to do on a
> notebook, even if it does have a nine amp powerpack) causing the system to
> go into a hard lock which only a battery yanking would cure. Last time it
> did that I was testing a Canon bus-powered scanner. Nearly fried the USB
> bus with that one.

...Been doing fine with SUSE 8.1 since 2003. I have recooted the machine a
few hours ago, after 70+ days of uptime (since that July outage). SUSE has
been mature for a long, long time. Wait until 10.2 is finally shipped. It's
like free SLED 10.2, minus the stuff that needs 'hacking' (the equivalent of
Automatix or EasyUbuntu).

Best wishes,

  3:20am  up   4:04,  6 users,  load average: 0.57, 0.33, 0.37