Re: [News] ESR Joins Lispire Board

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 27 September 2006 13:51 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Open-source guru Eric Raymond joins Freespire board
>>
>> ,----[ Snippet ]
>>| Raymond believes desktop Linux is entering into a critical period,
>>| noting that historically, users have shifted operating systems during
>>| periods of fundamental changes in hardware platforms.
>> `----
>>
>> http://desktoplinux.com/news/NS2603651519.html
>
> I certainly agree that in order to get the "masses" on board with linux
> devices of all kinds, they need to be able to do all the things the
> users wants to (within their general design spec).  This does lead to
> the conundrum that support for proprietary formats is likely to be a
> requirement.  However, the ODF initiative is changing this particular
> piece of the landscape fairly quickly.  There remains the constant
> problem, though, that as more linux devices appear, then support for
> linux-suitable stream, message and file formats will appear, but in
> order to encourage adoption, support for non-native or proprietary file,
> message and stream formats needs to be maintained.

I think that as long as 'pure' Linux distros prevail, having that other
migration route might be useful. I say the same about Ubuntu, which many
Linux users seem to envy (especially when people neglect the fact that
Ubuntu is just a subset of GNU/Linux). I say: we are all on the same boat.
Let people be absorbed in the Linux world. They will move on later and
improve/'purify' themselves one step at a time.