Re: [News] 1. Advertise 2. Lock in Users 3. Put Advertisements Everywhere 4. ??? 5. Profit!

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 27 September 2006 08:08 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 26 September 2006 01:00 \__
>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Stephen Fairchild
>>> <somebody@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>  wrote
>>> on Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:04:36 +0100

>>> And what should they promote, Linux?  Their main competitor? :-)
>>>
>>> I can't fault them solely for that; one hopes, of course, that
>>> the customer, being fed up with malware, spyware, adware, trojanware,
>>> mailware, spamware, pornware, and stupidityware, will switch.
>>>
>>> It won't stop the inflow of junk immediately, but it might
>>> quiet it down to a dull roar. ;-)  In any event Microsoft
>>> has already confused itself -- in Win95, for instance, they
>>> proclaimed that Win95 was totally revolutionary and that
>>> DOS was no more.  Andrew Schullman torched that notion,
>>> although he had no problem with Win95 sitting on top of
>>> DOS, just Microsoft's spin thereon that DOS was gone.
>>>
>>> (Assuming I'm reading him correctly.)
>>>
>>> And now Vista touts itself as the most secure Windows offering ever
>>> innovated.  I'll believe it when I see it.
>>
>> Page title:
>>
>>         Microsoft: Vista Most Secure OS Ever (BetaNews)
>>
>> http://www.techmeme.com/060615/p61
>>
>> We shall believe it when we see it indeed.
>
> Quite.  Microsoft have said this every time;  it's like a washing
> powder advert "best ever surf", "new improved persil."  It doesn't
> actually mean anything at all.

Improved Persil... improved MSN Search... Improves Live Search... well, you
have got to promise something to get attention (testing the water), don't
you?

http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/190700049;jsessionid=MWLALDT21M10GQSNDLPSKHSCJUNN2JVN
>>                         http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3389
>>                 http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6095119.html

FWIW: It may soon seem as though I have vanished, but I'm just leaving on a
train within a few hours. Will be back late tomorrow night or on early on
Friday. Will do a last round of [News] posts. Haven't slept for about 30
hours...