Re: Browser Stupidity Time Yet Again!

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 27 September 2006 02:00 \__

> Yep, ran into another one.  This one's not security-related but
> it is annoying.
>
> Objective: candy-color-coated text for local Engineering bugs, as I
> test a product of ours.  Logical enough, using fairly basic
> HTML with CSS, since I'm a touch typist.  For example:
>
> <li class='p1'>CRASH BANG TINKLE!</li>
>
> for a level 1 problem, with CSS in a local <style>:
>
> .p1 { color: ... }
> .p1:before { content: 'Priority 1 BUG:'; background-color=#ff0000;
> color=#ffffff; }
>
> Guess which browser had a problem with this construct?
>
> I was able to engineer a rather ugly workaround by using XML and
> XSL, and ultimately decided to make it more general, but really,
> the stupidity of having to do this because IE can't seem to
> figure out :before should be embarrassing to Microsoft.
>
> Argh!

:before and :after don't work in IE. It's utterly broken when it comes to
supporting CSS. Even Netscape and old versions of Moz have support for these
fundamental things. Preventing and avoiding site tests with IE is the path
to the bliss of ingorance. Sadly, IE is the ignorant one.