Re: U.S. lobbying in Europe

  • Subject: Re: U.S. lobbying in Europe
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 23:16:51 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ 7 ] on Tuesday 26 September 2006 23:08 \__

> B Gruff wrote:
>

>> "According to Kroes the US government's move was "an intervention which
>> cannot stand... like all companies great and small, Microsoft is not above
>> the law""
>>
>> (To be fair, I think she is speaking of E.U. law, and presumably would not
>> make such an assertion re. MS and U.S. law!)
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/26/microsoft_eu_political_lobbying/
>

> It is ridiculous that big companies can bypass all
> safety measures and buy governments.

They do so at legistlative levels as well. Confer DMCA.

Also see a very recent example:

        Google forms political pressure group

        http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1355970172&rid=-50

Don't Be Evil -- Hire It Done

,----[ Quote ]
| "The NY Times among others is reporting that Google is ramping up its
| lobbying clout (registration or bugmenot required). The 'Don't be evil'
| search engine company has hired the infamous astroturfing and dirty
| tricks firm Direct Connect, Inc. You may remember DCI from their recent
| attempts to pass off their 'Penguin Army' video as a product of some
| lone wit, unconnected with their client, Exxon. Or their involvement in
| Microsoft's 'even dead voters love Microsoft' campaign. With a staff of
| veterans in the biz (such as Chris 'Swiftboat' LaCivita and Jim
| 'Electioneering' Tobin), led by Tom 'Big Tobacco on the Dole' Synhorst,
| I'm sure DCI will be able to give Google whatever they're paying them
| for. The question is, what are they paying them for? And does 'Don't be
| evil' imply 'Don't pay professionals to be evil for you?' Or could
| there possibly be a non-evil reason to hire these clowns?"
`----

http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/14/1534224&from=rss

Net neutrality has its telecom shills too. I suspect corresponding frauds
exist in Europe, but I am not sure about their scale and impact./