Re: OT (ish): Happy Birthday!

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 26 September 2006 15:32 \__

> The system that acts as an all-purpose server on my network, is ...
> *100 days old today* (uptime).

Time to learn how to knit.

> For it's (real) one year birthday, I'm thinking about giving it new
> kernel as a present (reboot), or if I'm feeling extra generous, an OS
> upgrade to Fedora Core 7.

PC's don't appreciate presents that cost nothing. Have you ever met a girl
who accepted a ring without knowing its cost/worth? It's all about
perception, innit?

> Active services:
>
> bind DNS
> DHCP
> OpenSSH
> Denyhosts (SSH hack protection + auto-reporting)
> Dovecot IMAP
> Postfix MTA
> SpamAssassin (with Spamhaus + SpamCop RBLs)

Well, we must share the Net with Windows, don't we?

> Leafnode NNTP

Well, we must share the Net with Microsoft shills, don't we?

> Autosig (homebrew Email + News sig generator)
> Yam (Yum server)
> RSS (local feed from Yam)

*grin* My initials.

> Apache
> Squid
> Privoxy
> AWStats

Password-protect it if it's ain't the latest. *wink*

> IPTables (FireStarter)
> PXE network boot (FC5 busybox + install script)
> NFS
> CIFS (Samba)
> CUPS print server
> Rsync (backup for all connected workstations)

Best software utility ever created. Better and more valuable than Photoshop,
that's for sure...

> Mondo (bare metal self-backup, i.e. disaster recovery)
> BitTorrent Server + Tracker (Hosting FC5 and others)
> GiFT P2P server + index node (hosting custom RPMs)
> VNC server (Fluxbox)
> MythTV server node (1 of 4)
> Cinelerra render node (1 of 8)
>
> The only service facing outwards is ssh *, and that is still behind
> iptables, SELinux, PAM, Denyhosts, and a router (which also has SPI and
> DDoS protection), Plus the IP is NAT'ed anyway, with only ssh forwarded
> to the box. Everything else that I allow from outside is tunnelled
> through ssh. *
>
> * The only exceptions are BT and the three P2P networks I use for GiFT;
> FT, G1 and OpenFT; which are open and port forwarded by router's NAT.
> These services run as a low-privilege account with a $HOME on a separate
> disk.
>
> Total administration time per week: about 10 minutes.

Dusting takes time, unfortunately.

> Not bad for a VIA C3 (Samuel II) system, running at 533.434 MHz, with
> just 507576 kB of PC133 Memory.
>
> The only time I ever see any slowdown, is when Yum is doing an
> auto-update of system packages, and that's only if I happen to still be
> awake at 3:00 am on a Monday morning.
>
> And what OS is this thing running? (hint, see sig below).

Never ever crashed on me for 3 years. But it's suitable for technical people
more than the layman.

> Try doing *that* on Windows, on this hardware, at zero cost.
>
> Hell, would Fista even *install* onto such a machine?

Hey! >:| It's just an RC. The Golden Release will fix _everything_.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Stand for nothing and you will fall for anything"
roy      pts/7                         Tue Sep 26 10:10 - 10:11  (00:00)