Re: Web Server: Click and Go In Suse

  • Subject: Re: Web Server: Click and Go In Suse
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 09:09:27 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ John A. Bailo ] on Tuesday 26 September 2006 03:29 \__

> I wanted to set up my PC as a web server once again because I had some pics
> from a recent camping trip to Geneva Overlook in Deschutes Canyon, OR.
>
> How hard can it be?  I mean, it's a piece of work to find a web server for
> XP!
>
> In Suse?  not hard at all.
>
> Go to YaST/Network services and click HTTP Server.  I didn't have it
> installed, so it installed it for me -- in my case, I'm using the 5 CD
> distro.
>
> Set up in a few seconds, and asked me if I wanted PHP, PERL, and other
> scripting options (didn't need them right now).
>
> Now I'm client and server.
>
> Pics at http://www.texeme.com/Deschutes.html
>
> (low bandwidth, high load times)

This was just as simple in the antiquated SUSE 8.1

http://www.schestowitz.com/Utilities/Complete/Linux/Display_Grabber/

,----[ Relevant bit ]
| # You may use a wizard to set up a Web server, typically on port 8001 and
| the standard location which is ~/public_html (your home directory's
| public domain). The permissions on ~/public_html must accept it as
| public, e.g. by typing chmod 755 ~/public_html at the command-line.
|
| # Under KDE, if you have not got public_html set up already, you might
| wish to right-click (right-handed mouse) on one of the panels (docks),
| izard will guide you through the short and painless process.
`----

Mo need for any additional software _at all_.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate (Medical Biophysics)
  9:05am  up 67 days 21:17,  9 users,  load average: 0.90, 0.80, 0.64