Re: Canadian Linux Distributer Plans IPO

  • Subject: Re: Canadian Linux Distributer Plans IPO
  • From: timjowers@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 25 Sep 2006 10:23:41 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Larry Qualig wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> > Link Linux Shares to Trade Publicly
> >
> >  (SNIP)
> >

> > In reality,
>
> In reality??? Perhaps in your fantasy world.

The quote showed lower cost for the buyer. Nobody will make billions
selling what is free. Hundred of millions perhaps but not billions.
Those laid off reflect this as well as going after the wrong markets.
LynuxWorks was RTOS, Ebiz Enterprises looked like clustering.

The real money to be made is in the PC and departmental server markets.
I'm still amazed Novell hasn't hit it big time but suspect it is
because they are trying to penetrate the Fortune 1000 and that has a
1.5 years or so sales cycle. Probably why one of their exec.s left and
started Collax to focus on small business.

TimJowers

> > In reality, Linux assures that /less/ employees will be sacked. Less money is
> > spent on licencing fragile software, so only 'box booters' lose their jobs.
>
> Tell that to the 20% of Novell employees that were sacked last year
> just a few weeks before the Christmas holidays. Or the 15% layoff at
> LynuxWorks. Or to the employees of Lineo which layed off more than 50%
> of it's workforce. Or to the former employees of Ebiz Enterprises
> (sells Linux hardware and software) which went bankrupt. etc, etc, etc.
>
> Oh yeah... the "reality" really is that Linux assures no such thing.

Of course not. Linux is just an OS. Business decisions are not made by
an OS. Sackings and layoffs are due to business reasons. In my
experience because the executives and board have filled their golden
parachutes.

TimJowers