Re: Boycott XSS-based Statistics (was: how to stop crawler to index web page?)

__/ [ BT ] on Monday 25 September 2006 10:20 \__

>> __/ [ BT ] on Sunday 24 September 2006 21:46 \__
>>

>> > "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>> > banishment),
> browser
>> > type

> ?

> the
> lot
>> > of
>> > reside
> data.
>> > It
> Google

> as
>> > well
>> > many
> then
>> > the
>> > mainstream
>> > all
>> > gets
> industry
>> > Don't
> logs
> be

> made
> think
> no

>> > So, what do you suggest , not to use it at all? Use my host company logs
>> > and stats instead ? With it I can't have so much good info on visitors.
>> > What about Statcounter? Any better?
>> > What are your suggestions in hiding my personal "surfing" and protection
> of
>> > the compay web site logs?
>> > Thanks
>>
>> I personally use AWStats. It gives all the stuff I would bother checking
> in
>> the morning (no more than one minute) and a lot beyond this. Analytics
>> (Urchin) is good if you do SEM and need to investigate routes of
> navigation
>> using pertinent statistics.
>>

> Yes, I will do SEM and SEO, also have seen that G Analytics can be
> "integrated" with AdWords which I'm planning to start. I'm trying to see
> how much they got traffic from where and what's the value for money
> invested in AdWords returned (ROI) .
> AWStats looks nice even got some things G Analytics hasn't (spider visits,
> worms...)
> It goes on web server, right?

It could, but it doesn't have to. Remember that the logs are the equivalent
of milk, where you can make cheese, or cream, or whatever you desire from
it. The fine products just require that you keep all the raw material (logs)
on your server and/or PC.

You can run awstats as a (possibly repetitive) job or the server or
periodically do this locally (just point it to the log file/s). I also use
Visitors 0.6, which a friend once recommended. It gives more detailed
statistics, but probably too much information to digest. All of these are of
course free and you could, in principle, modify them to suit your needs
better (and potentially redistribute, I suspect... if the licences permit).

Although I have Webalizer and another stats package on my server, I don't
find them helpful. Think which stats you would like to have access to, as
well as be able to afford the time interpreting. I spend one minute at most,
per day. Remember that, in a nutshell, stats are deceitful. Even once read,
it is not obvious how to use them and improve. So follow some common sense
and intuition rather than over-thinking, over-complicating, and quantifying
something as fluid as design. And be cautious about monitoring your visitors
with JS every 5 seconds and sedning that data over to several datacentres
worldwide.

Ultimately, when people disable scripts (or bacllist Google Analytics), your
stats will give you a lacking picture.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S