Re: SUSE Suitable for Legacy Hardware

__/ [ Handover Phist ] on Sunday 24 September 2006 21:49 \__

> Roy Schestowitz :
>> Here I am with just 256MB or RAM, KDE, composite enabled, a dozen open
>> applications (among hundreds that ship with the O/S) in 8 virtual desktop
>> and everything is so responsive and snappy. It's amazing what one can get
>> for under 250 bucks, including SUSE preinstalled.
>
> This is one of the reasons I've gone with Slack and familiarised myself
> with the command line. I can run the same OS on any number of machines
> from 486 onwards with no problems and nothing more to learn.
>
> And yes, old machines *can* be quite useful! I use (well, did use, it
> died) a 486 laptop to edit documents on the train to downtown, using
> Slackware. I could be sure it would work on any of my machines as well,
> because they're all Slackware. I have an old 200MHz machine with Win98
> on it that Mrs. Phist is using right now. When she's done I can throw my
> OS on it and it'll work just like the rest of my machines. Legacy
> hardware just became Anything That Doesn't Work Anymore.

Reminds me of something recent.

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2006/09/14/basic/index_np.html

By he way, SUSE bloat is a myth. I don't know where the word has spread from.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Mod me up and I'll mod you 'insightful'"
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S