Re: Review: OpenOffice Writer is ok because it's free.

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> __/ [ 7 ] on Sunday 24 September 2006 16:49 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> __/ [ 7 ] on Sunday 24 September 2006 16:12 \__

>>> Same experience? For the past few months? I beg to differ. I sometimes see
>>> some Windows users at work. They regularly need to reboot, then restoring
>>> a desktop one application at the time. They are also forced to tolerate a
>>> desktop environment that reduces productivity, and even spend time
>>> 'maintaining' the machine with FS checks, anti-virus software, you name
>>> it...
>>>
>>> Oh yeah... and they are always low on cash. Proprietary lines of code are
>>> being *gasp* charged for.
>>

>> You are of course right Roy. I phoned up for a reservation
>> a few days back and the person at the other end said the usual things...
>>
>> ...the system is going slow...
>> ...err...
>> ...ITS CRASHED!......
>> ...rebooting now - please wait....
>>
>> That system cost billions to make!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
>>
>> For today, I think we just give these micoshaft asstroturfers
>> the benefit of the doubt and say the user experience is about the same
>> and let them contest it if they can.
>>
>> So far, they are unable to contest I note.
>>
>> Tomorrow, it can be stated the user experience is superior even
>> though it is superior already today.
>> Patience Roy, patience.
>
> I have just prepared (well, it was a couple of hours ago) a beautiful
> presentation using OpenOffice Impress. The output file is OpenDocument
> Presentation (ODP), which is essentially a compressed file that contains a
> well-build set of XML files, as well as pictures and videos in aptly names
> directories. Can you smell that too? It is the scent of control; the joy of
> open format; and Freedom! The user /owns/ his/her data.
>
> I typically do my presentations in HTML (with some JavaScript), but my
> Supervisor wishes to edit as well. I showed him that editing a clean HTML
> file (separate CSS and JS files) is simple, but he wants to stick to his
> long-acquired habits. OpenOffice is compatible with Office 2003 for all I
> can tell and judge by. It is also secure (it requests authorisation for
> macros to be invoked). So WTF do those FUDmeisters talk about? It's
> just

So does office. Whoops.

> sickening that they would spread so much disinformation. Would PowerPoint,
> for example, enable me to compose the presentation on my home computer (also
> runs SUSE) while at work? Will it be windowable? Will it render just the
> bits that change in a small window, which is sent via X11 on a fairly
> low-bandwidth connection? Will I be able to move to full-screen mode
> from my

Jesus : you're a tit. Most people would just use a USB drive or a floppy
or something. To travel to work without a copy & rely on a network is
idiocy.

> home machine while at work? And have some other applications 'on the side'
> (e.g. a second monitor)? Windows and Office are old-tech. Face it. It's a
> broken model for facilitation of transparency, portability, openness, and
> participation with other users.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You are obsessed. Apps have
existed for eons which enable you to have remote desktops in windows.

> Since you mentioned stability (I had to reread your message more carefully),
> OpenOffice has /never/ crashed on me. I can't comment on its state on a
> flaky Windows platform though. It's unpredictable as it's
> closed-source.

Predictably is nothing to do with closed source. or open Source. The
buggiest apps I currently use are Amarok, MPlayer, Compiz and
firefox. All are OSS. The most buggy windows apps I used to use were
invariably Java ones.

--
Personally, I think my choice in the mostest-superlative-computer wars has to
be the HP-48 series of calculators.  They'll run almost anything.  And if they