Re: [jews] Review: OpenOffice Writer is ok because it's free.

On Sunday 24 September 2006 16:06 flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 09:19:51 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> OpenOffice.org Writer
>>
>> ,----[ Overall ]
>> | I'm pretty happy with Open Office. I definitely wouldn't pay $200 for
>> | it -- but I would happily use it instead of Word, even if Word came
>> | free. However, if I already have Word set up to be as minimally
>> | obnoxious as possible, I'm not going to install Open Office to replace
>> | it.
>
> Translation:
>
> I love this Yugo that I found for free.
> I wouldn't pay $40,000 for it like I did for my Porsche but it's not
> bad for free.

Ah - now I'm beginning to see your problem - English isn't your first
language, is it?

By all means let us take the Yugo and Porsche examples.
It translates as something like this:-

I'm pretty happy with the Yugo.  I definitely wouldn't pay $40,000 for it -
but I'd happily drive it instead of a Porsche, even if the Porsche came
free.
However, if I'd already bought a Porsche, and had got used to driving it, I
wouldn't send it to the scrap yard and replace it with a free Yugo.

HTH