Re: OT: Download Windows Vista For Free.

  • Subject: Re: OT: Download Windows Vista For Free.
  • From: ed <ed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 14:38:41 GMT
  • Newsgroups: alt.true-crime, comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:17:55 +0200
Hadron Quark <qadronhuark@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> my point is that Linux can and does allow you to run rogue attachments
> easily. But I'm not really sure why you are trying to run a wav
> file. hey, if we had Kelsey's idea implemented about content based
> file type recognition it would be even easier. Call it a "wav" file
> but fill it with bash script. Nice one Kelsey. Another world beater.

Errr no..

ed@lion:~$ cat test.c
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main( int argc, char *argv[] ) {
        fprintf( stdout, "yeah right, nice one hadron...\n" );
        return( EXIT_SUCCESS );
}

ed@lion:~$ gcc test.c -o hadron
ed@lion:~$ sh ./hadron
./hadron: ./hadron: cannot execute binary file

Now, think about what you said a little more... Why would sh execute
something like a perl script? It wouldn't, it's not a recursive
execution, it just runs the script contents. The shebang line is what
bash reads and forks IF you run it with execute permissions from the
command line. When you run a script via the interpreter command line it
IGNORES the shebang line.

Remember, bash is not user friendly.

If something does run attachments easily it ain't bash, it ain't mutt,
it ain't lynx it ain't w3m, and it ain't firefox.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.gnunix.net
just another unix person